Monday, July 23, 2007

Commercial radio in Washington DC is a problem

Commercial radio in Washington DC is a problem

Why? The music…
• WPGC and WKYS dominate DC’s ratings and are heard in 80% + Black households
• They are most popular among youth and Black youth in particular
• Their play lists and payola (pay-for-play) systems mean only the same 10-20 songs being played hundreds of times a week
• Little local and no political music is heard

Why? The news…
• There is little to no local news
• Radio One employs zero locally-based reporters
• Under-informed populations cannot organize to make change
• Political organizations cannot reach their audience

http://www.voxunion.com/coup/coupdocs/News4Flyer.pdf

2 comments:

bproper said...

Hello - I am a journalist doing a piece on the campaign of Barack Obama. One of Mr. Obama's slogans is "A father from Kenya, a mother from Kansas." This got me wondering, what do Kenyans and Kenyan-Americans think of his campaign.

If you or someone from your organization would be able to chat for the article please send me an e-mail or give me a call. If you know of anyone who you think would be good to contact for the piece, I would love to hear about that as well.

My deadline is next Tuesday, so please let me know as soon as you are able.

Ben Popper
917-572-8327

Anonymous said...

There needs to be some pirate radio stationS in DC and in the metro area overall. I'm from Miami and there are a ton of people displaying their love of the First Amendment over pirate radio stations. Whenever I go back down to visit with my wife we are usually fighting over which pirate station to listen to - she wants the reggae station and i usually want the station that mostly plays music from miami and the rest of florida's hip hop scene.

next up Pirate TV Stations. Gotta let people know they don't need to buy those digital converter boxes that will let the government spy on us.